US 90 from I-10 to FM 1463
TxDOT is proposing to widen US 90 from I-10 to FM 1463 in Waller, Fort Bend and Harris Counties. The purpose of the proposed project is to improve mobility and safety in the surrounding area.
In the state of Texas, US 90 is a major east-west highway with large portions running paralled to I-10. Recently, the project area has experienced a growth in commercial development creating congestion and delays along US 90 and its nearby intersections. The lack of median space for vehicle turns, pose safety concerns including an increase in potential crashes along the roadway. Currently, US 90 is a two lane roadway with a 12-foot-wide travel lane in each direction, 8-foot-wide shoulders on the outside of the travel lanes and open ditches for drainage. In the City of Brookshire, US 90 widens to four 11.5-foot-wide travel lanes with reduced shoulders, a partial curb and gutter drainage. The Union Pacific railway is north of the roadway right-of-way (ROW) from Koomey Road to FM 1463. The current right of way (ROW) widths are approximately 80 feet with a maximum width of 120 feet.
The proposed widening of US 90 would include:
- Reconstructing US 90 from a two-lane roadway to a four-lane roadway with a raised median
- Adding a center left-turn lane to the existing four-lane roadway with-in the City of Brookshire
- Adding sidewalks, shared-use paths and/or bikeways to both sides of the roadway
Within the City of Brookshire, improvements would include adding a center left turn lane to the existing four-lane roadway. A sidewalk and bikeway are also proposed. Any improvements from I-10 to Donigan Rd are limited to pavement upgrade and striping. Overall, the estimated construction cost is approximately $113 million.
- Virtual Public Meeting
- Refine schematic – Summer/Fall 2020
- Finalize environmental analysis – Winter/Spring 2021
- Additional public involvement as needed
- ROW acquisition/construction – dependent on funding
- April 12, 2022 - Virtual Public Hearing and In-Person Option on April 14, 2022
- July 28, 2020 - Virtual Public Meeting
Reference the following project numbers: CSJs 0271-09-025, 0271-09-026 and 0271-10-011
TxDOT Houston District