SH 34 Study - Project & Goals
TxDOT is performing a feasibility and alignment study on SH 34 from FM 2578 in Terrell to SH 243 in Kaufman. This study will evaluate and analyze possible solutions and alignments for a four-lane divided roadway. The purpose of this study is to improve safety and mobility on SH 34, as well as address traffic flow concerns due to the growth of Terrell, Kaufman, and surrounding cities. The goal of the study is to evaluate existing SH 34 and other options identified in the surrounding area of SH 34 to better serve the community. Along with partners, we are evaluating:
- Improvements in safety and mobility
- Reduction in traffic congestion
- Population growth
- Social and community impacts
- Environmental and socio-economical impacts
- Savings in maintenance and construction costs
What is a Feasibility Study?
- A feasibility study is when a project is in the very early stages of development.
- The study helps determine if the project should move forward to more in-depth environmental analysis, public involvement, schematic design and right-of-way mapping.
- The project team, in coordination with the working group comprised of city and county officials, and stakeholders, would develop project goals and objectives, assess environmental and engineering constraints, and identify preliminary route options.
- With input from the public and community, and additional technical analysis, the project team would refine and recommend route options for further study.
- These route options would be the starting point for any future phases of project development, including an environmental study, should the project advance.
- Early 2018 - Initial data collection and analysis
- Spring 2018 - Stakeholder meeting to introduce study and collect feedback on alternatives
- Summer 2018 - Public meeting and detailed evaluation and analysis of public feedback and alignment alternatives
- Fall 2018 - Stakeholder and public meeting to share preferred alternative
- Winter 2018 - Draft engineering report and select a preferred alternative
- Spring 2019 - Regional stakeholders coordinate with North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) to develop engineering authority
- 2019-2020 - Develop schematic and environmental clearance - contingent on available funding
- 2020-2023 - Right of way acquisition, utility adjustments, and final design - contingent on available funding
- 2025-2028 - Construction - contingent on available funding
Downloads - SH 34 Public Meeting - June 28, 2018
Blue Alignment Route Maps
Brown Alignment Route Maps
Green Alignment Route Maps
Light Blue Alignment Route Maps
Orange Alignment Route Maps
Pink Alignment Route Maps
Purple Alignment Route Maps
Yellow Alignment Route Maps
TxDOT Dallas District
4777 E. Highway 80
Mesquite, TX 75150-6643