In January 2018, TxDOT will initiate construction of improvements to enhance safety and increase mobility along SH 358 (South Padre Island Drive) in Corpus Christi, Texas (Nueces County). The four-year project consists of multiple phases and is located along SH 358 from just north of Leopard Street to just east of Flour Bluff Drive.
This 15-mile project will include the following improvements to address safety and mobility:
- Widen and construct new auxiliary, or "merge," lanes on the eastbound mainlanes and frontage road between Ayers Street and Nile Road to allow drivers entering and exiting the highway to safely merge with other traffic.
- Reconstruct several eastbound entrance and exit ramps between Ayers Street and Nile Road, including “reversing ramps” between Weber Road and South Staples Street (i.e., rebuilding the ramps in an X-ramp pattern where traffic enters the SH 358 mainlanes before a frontage road intersection, and exits the mainlanes after the intersection) to reduce traffic backups from intersections onto the mainlanes.
- Improve lighting and reconstruct existing mainlane median barrier between Ayers Street and Nile Road to enhance safety.
- Construct new sidewalks between Ayers Street and Nile Road to improve safety and access for pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Improve traffic signal timing and connectivity along the eastbound frontage road to increase mobility.
- Improve Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) along the entire corridor to provide drivers and emergency responders with accurate, up-to-the-minute traffic information.
Project Phasing and Current Activities
The project will be constructed in ten phases, with Phase One beginning on Jan. 15, 2018. This phase involves:
- Removing the existing mainlane median barrier, reconstructing inside shoulders, and adding a temporary median barrier between Ayers Street and Airline Road to prepare the mainlanes for future traffic shifts and construction of the permanent median barrier.
- This work is anticipated to take approximately six months to complete, and will be done primarily at night between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- It will require temporary closures of the inside eastbound and westbound mainlanes on SH 358 between Ayers Street and Airline Road in both directions.
- Widening the eastbound frontage road just west of Kostoryz Road to accommodate the relocation of the Kostoryz Road/Carroll Lane off-ramp and add new sidewalks, curbs and gutters, and a third lane east of Richter Street.
- This work is currently anticipated to be complete by Fall 2018.
- It will require off-peak closure of the outside eastbound frontage road lane and potential temporary closures of Richter Street and driveways near the Trade Center.
Information about future phases is available on the Project Fact Sheet and will be updated on this webpage as construction progresses.
During project construction, drivers on SH 358 in Corpus Christi could potentially experience delays due to temporary closures of the highway mainlanes and eastbound frontage road. Most closures will take place during off-peak hours, typically between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m., though the times and days may vary. The speed limit within the construction zone from Ayers Street to Nile Road will be reduced to 55 miles per hour on the mainlanes and 40 miles per hour on the eastbound frontage road. Please monitor electronic message signs near the construction site for daily updates, as well as Drive Texas and the Corpus Christi District's Twitter feed.
SH 358 Project Phone Line: (361) 857-3084
TxDOT Corpus Christi District
1701 S. Padre Island Drive
Corpus Christi, TX 78416