In January 2018, TxDOT initiated construction of improvements to enhance safety and increase mobility along SH 358 (South Padre Island Drive) in Corpus Christi, Texas (Nueces County). The four-year project consists of multiple phases and is located along SH 358 from just north of Leopard Street to just east of Flour Bluff Drive.
This 15-mile project includes the following improvements to address safety and mobility:
- Reconstruct several eastbound entrance and exit ramps between Ayers Street and Nile Drive, including:
- “Reversing ramps” between Weber Road and South Staples Street. This involves converting existing entrance ramps into exit ramps and vice-versa, similar in design to the previously “reversed” westbound ramps between Weber Road and Airline Road.
- Relocating the exit ramps serving Kostoryz Road/Carroll Lane and Weber Road.
- These ramp reversals and relocations will increase safety and mobility by providing additional distance for exiting vehicles and frontage road traffic to merge and queue while approaching signalized intersections.
- Widen and construct new auxiliary, or "merge," lanes on the eastbound mainlanes and frontage road between Ayers Street and Nile Drive to allow drivers entering and exiting the highway to safely merge with other traffic.
- Improve lighting and reconstruct existing mainlane median barrier between Ayers Street and Nile Drive to enhance safety.
- Construct new sidewalks between Ayers Street and Nile Drive to improve safety and access for pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Improve traffic signal timing and connectivity along the eastbound frontage road to increase mobility.
- Improve Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) along the entire corridor to provide drivers and emergency responders with accurate, up-to-the-minute traffic information.
The project is being constructed in ten phases and is expected to be complete in the fall of 2021. More information on the activities associated with each phase and teh project timeline can be found on the project fact sheet and the detailed SH 358 Improvements Presentation.
Activities are planned for Fall 2018:
New Eastbound Exit Ramp to Kostoryz Road & Carroll Lane
- Construction of the new eastbound exit ramp serving Kostoryz Road and Carroll Lane is scheduled to be completed and opened to traffic in Fall/Winter 2018. Once the new ramp is in operation, the existing exit ramp will be closed to traffic and removed.
- The new ramp location will require drivers to merge with traffic entering from SH 286 and to exit to Kostoryz Road/Carroll Lane sooner than is currently required.
SH 358 Mainlanes
- Work to widen the eastbound mainlane bridges over Kostoryz Road and Carroll Lane will continue through the end of the year and into 2019. Crews will be working behind concrete barricades in the outside eastbound lanes, as well as below and to the sides of the bridges.
- Various closures on the eastbound and westbound mainlanes and closures of the Kostoryz Road and Carroll Lane intersections are expected during this work, primarily between the hours of 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. Sunday evenings through Friday mornings.
SH 358 Eastbound Frontage Road
- Phase 2 and Phase 3 work to widen the eastbound frontage road between Weber Road and South Staples Street will continue through the end of 2018. This work will allow the frontage road to accommodate upcoming freeway ramp reversals and includes new curbs, gutters, sidewalks and drainage improvements.
- Various frontage road lane closures will be required during this work, primarily between the hours of 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. Sunday evenings through Friday mornings. All driveways will remain open and accessible to the public.
Traffic Signal and Lighting Upgrades
Traffic signal work and the installation/relocation of high mast lighting structures will continue at various locations along the SH 358 corridor through the fall and into 2019. This work will primarily occur weekdays between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
During project construction, drivers on SH 358 in Corpus Christi could potentially experience delays due to temporary closures of the highway mainlanes, eastbound frontage road lanes, and intersections underneath the mainlanes. Most closures will take place during off-peak hours, typically between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m., though the times and days may vary. The speed limit within the construction zone from Ayers Street to Nile Drive is reduced to 55 miles per hour on the mainlanes and 40 miles per hour on the eastbound frontage road.
Please monitor electronic message signs near the construction site for daily updates, as well as Drive Texas and the Corpus Christi District's Twitter feed. Weekly traffic updates are also emailed to subscribers of the project mailing list. Sign up to receive these updates here.
SH 358 Project Information Line: (361) 857-3084
TxDOT Corpus Christi District
1701 S. Padre Island Drive
Corpus Christi, TX 78416