In January 2018, TxDOT initiated construction of improvements to enhance safety and increase mobility along SH 358 (South Padre Island Drive) in Corpus Christi, Texas (Nueces County). The four-year project consists of multiple phases and is located along SH 358 from just north of Leopard Street to just east of Flour Bluff Drive.
This 15-mile project includes the following improvements to address safety and mobility:
- Reconstruct several eastbound entrance and exit ramps between Ayers Street and Nile Drive, including:
- “Reversing ramps” between Weber Road and South Staples Street. This involves converting existing entrance ramps into exit ramps and vice-versa, similar in design to the previously “reversed” westbound ramps between Weber Road and Airline Road.
- Relocating the exit ramps serving Kostoryz Road/Carroll Lane and Weber Road.
- These ramp reversals and relocations will increase safety and mobility by providing additional distance for exiting vehicles and frontage road traffic to merge and queue while approaching signalized intersections.
- Widen and construct new auxiliary, or "merge," lanes on the eastbound mainlanes and frontage road between Ayers Street and Nile Drive to allow drivers entering and exiting the highway to safely merge with other traffic.
- Improve lighting and reconstruct the existing mainlane median barrier between Ayers Street and Nile Drive to enhance safety.
- Construct new sidewalks between Ayers Street and Nile Drive to improve safety and access for pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Improve traffic signal timing and connectivity along the eastbound frontage road to increase mobility.
- Improve Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) along the entire corridor to provide drivers and emergency responders with accurate, up-to-the-minute traffic information.
The project is being constructed in ten phases and is expected to be completed in summer 2022. More information on the activities associated with each phase and the project timeline can be found on the project fact sheet and the detailed SH 358 Improvements Presentation.
These activities are planned through summer 2020*:
Eastbound Mainlane Widening
- Work will continue on the eastbound SH 358 mainlane widening at Kostoryz Road, Weber Road, and Everhart Road. This work includes focusing on ramp reversal acceleration and deceleration lanes, drainage improvements, and retaining walls at each of the overpasses from Kostoryz Road to Everhart Road.
New Eastbound Weber Exit Ramp
- Construction completed on the new eastbound exit ramp to Weber Road in May 2020. However, intermittent daytime and nighttime closures of the ramp are planned for the next few months so the contractor can complete the retaining walls at Weber.
New Eastbound Entrance Ramp from Kostoryz Road
- Work on the new eastbound entrance ramp from Kostoryz Road is anticipated to begin in late summer/fall 2020. The new ramp will be located further east of the existing ramp.
Traffic Signal and Lighting Upgrade
- Traffic signal work and the installation/relocation of high mast lighting structures will continue at various locations along the SH 358 corridor through summer 2022. Many intersections will receive new poles and/or traffic lights.
- Traffic signal upgrades are ongoing between Leopard Road and Waldron Road.
- High mast lighting structures will be installed late summer 2020 between Nile Drive and Airline Road.
- This work will continue to occur weekdays between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Both eastbound and westbound frontage road lane closures will be required for the traffic signal work and the installation of the high mast structures.
* All estimated completion time frames are subject to change.
During project construction, drivers on SH 358 in Corpus Christi could potentially experience delays due to temporary closures of the highway mainlanes, eastbound and westbound frontage road lanes, and intersections/turnarounds underneath the mainlanes. Most closures will take place during off-peak hours, typically between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m., though the times and days may vary. The speed limit within the construction zone from Ayers Street to Nile Drive is reduced to 55 miles per hour on the mainlanes and 40 miles per hour on the eastbound frontage road.
Please monitor electronic message signs near the construction site for daily updates, as well as Drive Texas and the Corpus Christi District's Twitter feed. Weekly traffic updates are also available for viewing here. Sign up to receive these updates here.
SH 358 Project Information Line: (361) 857-3084
TxDOT Corpus Christi District
1701 S. Padre Island Drive
Corpus Christi, TX 78416