SH 21 West Madison County Widening
The proposed SH 21/US 190 West Madison County Widening Project would increase capacity from a two-lane undivided roadway to a four-lane divided roadway. The project area extends from 0.8 miles east of the Navasota River for approximately 20 miles to Martin Luther King Boulevard in Madisonville.
This project is part of an overall SH 21/US 190 corridor study from SH 6 in Bryan to Madisonville. To date, corridor improvements have been completed from SH 6 in Bryan to just east of the Navasota River. An interim passing lane project was constructed through Madison County from west of North Zulch to west of Madisonville through Madison County.
The proposed widening project would require additional right of way and displacements.
Project Background and Improvements
SH 21, within the western half of Madison County, is a portion of the US 190 transportation corridor. US 190 is part of the National Highway System and serves as a freight and military route. Proposed improvements include:
- Straightening sharp curves in the roadway
- Adding two lanes (for a total of two lanes in each direction)
- Adding 10-foot outside and four-foot inside shoulders
- Separating opposing traffic with a divided grass median
- Providing crossover access
The project is expected to improve safety and mobility by accommodating increasing traffic flow with additional travel lanes and by separating opposing directions of traffic with a median.
- June 6, 2019 - Public Hearing
- Dec. 10, 2015 - Open House
- May 21, 2015 - Open House
- May 19, 2015 - Open House
A detailed design schematic and environmental study are being finalized. After the June 6, 2019 public hearing, right-of-way acquisition should begin summer of 2019. The project is funded and is anticipated to let for construction bids in Fall of 2022 once approved.
The public is encouraged to subscribe for project email updates.
- Project Map
- Right of Way Overview
- Typical Section
- Section Overview Map
- Section 1 - SH 21 - Navasota River to East of FM 2865 (Shepherd Creek)
- Section 2 - SH 21 - East of FM 2865 (Shepherd Creek) to FM 39/BNSF RR
- Section 3 - SH 21 - FM 39/BNSF RR to East of BS SH 21 (Kickapoo Creek)
- Section 4 - SH 21 - East of BS SH 21 (Kickapoo Creek) to East of Clark Road
- Section 5 - SH 21 - West of Strawther Road to West of Nettles Lane
- Section 6 - SH 21 - West of Nettles Lane to Wilbur Street in Madisonville
TxDOT Bryan District
Director of Transportation Planning and Development
2591 N. Earl Rudder Freeway
Bryan, TX 77803-5190