US 69 Corridor - Gateway to the Big Thicket Segment
This US 69 Corridor segment is between FM 1003 in Kountze and FM 1943 near Warren and is known as the "US 69 Gateway to the Big Thicket." The public is encouraged to visit the US 69 Corridor project page for more background about other potential segment areas in the Beaumont District area.
The proposed project is anticipated to improve safety and mobility along U.S. 69 during emergency evacuations by reducing the number of conflict points and providing better access.
The proposed project includes the following improvements:
- Widen and improve US 69 from FM 1003 (north of Kountze) to FM 1943 (near Warren) in Hardin and Tyler Counties to a four-lane, divided roadway with shoulders, an evacuation lane on the northbound lanes, and a median. The existing roadway includes a two-lane, undivided roadway with shoulders and no median
- Design the roadway to add two 12-foot travel lanes in each direction
- Design the roadway to include four-foot inside shoulders, a 10-foot outside shoulder on the southbound lanes and a 12-foot outside shoulder on the northbound lanes that serves as a hurricane evacuation lane; hurricane evacuation lanes are roadway shoulders that may be used as travel lanes during times of significant congestion such as during mandatory evacuations
The project would also extend the existing 10-foot hike-and-bike trail along the entire length of the project limits, in an effort to improve potential connectivity to the existing hike-and-bike trails within the Big Thicket National Preserve. Three new trailheads and one new parking area would also be constructed. The proposed project would incorporate Context Sensitive Solutions improving awareness of the surrounding resources by use of monument signage to identify local amenities. Public input from the open house, public hearing and interactive online survey have been considered and incorporated into the project design where appropriate.
The existing right-of-way (ROW) width is typically 100 feet wide but varies up to 120 feet wide in limited locations. The proposed ROW width would be approximately 300 feet wide. The proposed project would, subject to final design considerations, require additional ROW and potentially displace five residences and one commercial structure. Please review the landowner's rights publications, which contains more information about the TxDOT Relocation Assistance Program concerning services and benefits for displaced persons and businesses if needed.
- Complete environmental review - Summer 2021
- Finalize design and construction plans - Spring 2022
- Anticipated construction begins - Summer 2024
- Oct. 14, 2021 - Notice of Availability of Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI)
- Nov. 19, 2020 - Virtual Public Hearing with In-Person Option
- Feb. 19, 2019 - Open House
The public may subscribe for study updates, check the Beaumont District Twitter page and contact the Beaumont District Office with questions.
- US 69 Beaumont District Corridor Map
- US 69 Corridor Gateway to the Big Thicket Segment Location Map
- Project Newsletter #1
- Project Newsletter #2
- Context Sensitive Solutions (CSS) Workshops:
TxDOT Beaumont District
8350 Eastex Freeway
Beaumont, TX 77708