Notice of Draft Environmental Assessment and Virtual Public Hearing with In-Person Option – I-35 Capital Express South Project
The virtual public hearing and in-person option dates and times indicated below.
The virtual public hearing will be available beginning at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, April 27 through Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Comments received or postmarked by May 26, 2021 will be included in the official hearing record.
In addition, TxDOT is providing an option for individuals who would like to participate in person instead of online. In-person attendees will be able to view the same video presentation, review hard copies of project materials, ask socially-distanced questions of TxDOT staff and/or consultants, and leave written comments. The in-person option will be held on Tuesday, April 27, 2021 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the TxDOT South Travis/Hays County Area Office, 9725 S. I-35, Austin, Texas 78744. Attendance at the in-person option will be by appointment only. Individuals wishing to attend in-person must call (512) 766-3472 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, to make an appointment.
TxDOT is holding a virtual public hearing to discuss improvements to I-35 from US 290 West/SH 71/Ben White Boulevard to SH 45 Southeast. The purpose of the public hearing is to receive public comment on the draft environmental assessment and the recommended alternative for improvements on the I-35 Capital Express South project.
The proposed improvements include:
- adding two non-tolled high-occupancy managed lanes in each direction along I-35 from SH 71/Ben White Boulevard to SH 45 Southeast
- reconstructing bridges
- adding bicycle and pedestrian paths
- making additional safety and mobility improvements
How to make a comment:
For both the virtual public hearing and in-person option, the public may provide comments in the following ways:
Leave a recorded voicemail at (512) 501-5451 with your verbal testimony starting on Tuesday, April 27, 2021, at 9 a.m. The access is available 24 hours a day through Wednesday, May 26, 2021, at 11:59 p.m.
Written comments can be submitted the following ways until Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.:
Mail: Fillable Comment Form *print double-sided
Fillable Comment Form (Español) *imprimir en ambos lados
Matthew Cho, P.E.
1608 W. 6th Street
Austin, TX 78703
Email: As described in the Notice
The virtual public hearing will be conducted in English. If you need an interpreter or document translator because English is not your primary language or you have difficulty communicating effectively in English, one will be provided to you. If you have a disability and need assistance, special arrangements can be made to accommodate most needs. If you need interpretation or translation services or you are a person with a disability who requires an accommodation to attend and participate in the virtual public hearing, please contact Nic Barbera at (512) 766-3472 no later than 4 p.m. CT, Wednesday, April 21, 2021. Please be aware that advance notice is required as some services and accommodations may require time for TxDOT to arrange.
Memorandum of Understanding:
The environmental review, consultation and other actions required by applicable Federal environmental laws for this project are being, or have been, carried out by TxDOT pursuant to 23 U.S.C. 327 and a Memorandum of Understanding dated Dec. 9, 2019, and executed by FHWA and TxDOT.
For full screen, please visit our YouTube page.
- Display Ad
- Display Ad (Español)
- Notice (Español)
- Presentation Slides
- Presentation Slides (Español)
- Exhibit Boards
- Fact Sheet
- Project Plans
- Draft Environmental Assessment
- Technical Reports
- Community Impacts Assessment Technical Report
- Archeological Background Study and Addendum
- Historic Resources Documentation
- Water Resources Documentation
- Biological Resources Documentation
- Air Quality Assessment Technical Reports
- Hazardous Materials Initial Site Assessment
- Traffic Noise Analysis Technical Report
- University of Texas Center for Transportation Research - Environmental Justice Assessment
- University of Texas Center for Transportation Research - Operational Analysis
- University of Texas Center for Transportation Research - Traffic Safety Analysis
- 2020 Virtual Stakeholder Meeting Summary Report
- 2019 Public Meeting Documentation
- Traffic Noise Barrier Brochure
- Right of Way Publications
TxDOT Austin District
P.O. Box 15426
Austin, TX 78761-5426
Posted: Apr. 8, 2021