HERO Roadside Assistance Program
TxDOT, in partnership with the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization, operates a free Highway Emergency Response Operator (HERO) patrol service program to clear minor crashes from area roadways and assist motorists in need.
The goal of the HERO program is to improve safety and keep traffic flowing along 138 miles of I-35, US 183, US 290, SH 71, and Loop 1 (MoPac) in the greater Austin area.
Nationally, approximately 20 percent of all traffic incidents are a secondary incident. By removing stranded motorists from the roadway and providing motorists warning of stopped vehicles ahead, we can greatly reduce the number of these crashes.
HERO services include:
- Relocating disabled vehicles to safety
- Removing minor crashes from the roadway
- Providing traffic and lane control at crash scenes
- Removing debris from travel lanes
- Changing flat tires
- Giving air to low tires
- Adding gasoline and water
- Performing minor vehicle repairs
- Jump-starting batteries
- Assisting first responders at crash scenes
- Providing drinking water and cell phone services to stranded motorists
The HERO trucks operate from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday. Service is available on I-35 seven days a week, including Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. If you need assistance, you can reach the HERO program at (512) 974-HERO.
If you've had occasion to use the HERO service, we welcome your feedback through this four-minute survey. Thank you for your time.