North Texas HOV Lanes
How do I use the HOV lane?
To use high-occupancy vehicle lanes, look for HOV signs, which designate where the lanes begin. Locate the HOV entrance, and when it's safe to do so, merge into the HOV lane. Always plan ahead. Review the maps and keep your final destination in mind since exits from HOV lanes are limited. Be aware, you may have to exit the HOV lane well prior to your preferred exit.
Who can use the HOV lane?
A vehicle occupied by two or more people or a motorcyclist may use HOV lanes. Vehicles eligible to use HOV lanes include, but are not limited to:
- passenger cars
- pickup trucks
- emergency vehicles responding to a call
Note: Hybrid vehicles with single occupants are not allowed in HOV lanes.
Who cannot use the HOV lane?
Prohibited vehicles include, but are not limited to:
- Trucks with more than two axles
- Trucks having a gross weight capacity of five tons or more
- Vehicles towing trailers
Which north Texas highways have HOV Lanes?
Visit Houston METRO for information on Houston HOV lanes.
What are the benefits of using the HOV lane?
- Faster, more efficient commutes
- Shared fuel costs
- Reduced congestion
- Fewer vehicle emissions
- Less vehicle wear and tear
- Less stop-and-go traffic
- Cleaner air for everyone
- HOV Courtesy Patrol: (214) 320-4444
- HOV Operations Office: (214) 320-6275
- Public Information Office: (214) 320-4480