SH 46 from I-35 to I-10
The Texas Department of Transportation San Antonio District is proposing to improve SH 46 from I-35 to I-10 and I-35 from South Walnut Avenue to FM 306 in Comal and Guadalupe counties, Texas. TxDOT has been working collaboratively with Comal County, the City of New Braunfels, Guadalupe County and the City of Seguin to help identify corridor issues and concerns.
Improvements along SH 46 are needed to meet current and future traffic volumes and regional population growth. The purpose of the project is to reduce congestion, improve mobility and increase safety along SH 46. TxDOT is proposing to expand SH 46 with operational and corridor improvements including additional lanes, overpasses and intersection improvements. The proposed expansion also includes limited ramp reconstruction along I-35.
Project location map
Proposed SH 46 from I-35 to the Comal/Guadalupe County line within Comal County
- Constructing new SH 46 mainlanes elevated over the existing at-grade SH 46 roadway and providing overpasses at Elliot Knox Boulevard (Business 35), I-35, FM 1101 (Freiheit Road) and Alves Lane.
- Constructing two direct connecting flyover ramps between SH 46 and I-35.
Proposed SH 46 from the Comal/Guadalupe County line to I-10 within Guadalupe County
- Expanding SH 46 to a four-lane controlled access highway with two-lane, one-way frontage roads.
- Constructing overpasses at:
- Mary Boulevard/Saengerhalle Road
- Weltner Road
- Pfeiffer Lane/Canal Lane
- Cordova Road/Three Oaks Road
- Future Pecan Parkway
Anticipated project schedule
The proposed project began in 2020 and the project schedule (tentative, subject to change) is bulleted below:
- Winter 2023 – Virtual Public Meeting #1
- Fall 2023 – Virtual Public Meeting #2, Environmental Document Development
- Spring 2024 – Final Schematic & Environmental Document
- Summer 2024 – Public Hearing
- Fall 2024 – Environmental Clearance
Subsequent project development schedules for final design, right-of-way acquisition and construction will be dependent on environmental clearance and funding availability.
Project updates and public involvement
For project updates, please email your name and contact information to SH46_Study@pozcam.com. Please include “Updates on SH 46 from I-35 to I-10” in the subject line.
The purpose of public involvement is to share project information, present project updates, and gather public input. TxDOT is committed to working closely with the public on this project. Public input will be considered as TxDOT moves forward in developing a plan to improve safety and mobility of this corridor while preparing for future growth.
- Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2023 - Virtual Public Meeting and New Braunfels Open House
- Thursday, Jan. 26, 2023 - Virtual Public Meeting and Seguin Open House