US 281 at Premont
In 2012, the I-69 Advisory Committee, led by citizen volunteers, recommended the development of I-69 in Texas to relieve traffic congestion caused by a growing population, provide safer travel through the state, improve emergency evacuation routes and promote economic development in the region.
To continue developing I-69 Texas, TxDOT is improving existing highway routes to interstate quality. US 281 in Premont is part of the I-69 Texas system, and before this road can be designated as an interstate, US 281 in Premont must be upgraded to interstate standards. To minimize overall impacts to Premont including homes and businesses, a relief route east of Premont has been identified as the preferred solution to upgrade US 281 in Premont to an interstate quality road. On Aug. 11, 2011, the Premont City Council passed a resolution supporting the east relief route option.
The proposed relief route will be built to interstate design standards and include:
- Four 12-foot-wide main lanes, two lanes in each direction
- four-foot-wide inside shoulders
- 10-foot-wide outside shoulders
- 48-foot-wide grassy center median
- Access roads in some locations to provide access to adjacent properties
- Main lanes will accommodate 70 mph speed
The US 281 relief route project is anticipated to cost about $58 million with funding coming from Proposition 14 bonds.
In addition to the public hearing, two open houses and four Premont city council briefings have taken place since 2011.
- Project Location Map
- City of Premont Resolution
- June 6, 2011 Open House Material
- July 5, 2011 Premont City Council Presentation
- Oct. 4, 2011 Premont City Council Presentation
- April 17, 2012 Premont City Council Presentation
- Aug. 21, 2012 Premont City Council Presentation
- Oct. 23, 2012 Open House Material
Dec. 11, 2014 Public Hearing Material
- Public Hearing Summary and Comment Response Report
- Display Boards
- Fact Sheet
- Comment Card
- US 281 Premont Schematic
- Schematic - US 281 to CR 418
- Schematic - CR 418 to SW 1st
- Schematic - SW 1st to N US 281
- Schematic - N US 281 to Business US 281
- Schematic - N FM 1538 to N CR 431
- Notice of Availability
- Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI)
Right of Way
The proposed project would require approximately 192.8 acres of additional right of way. Information concerning services and benefits available to affected property owners and information about the tentative schedules for right-of-way acquisition and construction may be obtained at the Dec. 11, 2014 public hearing or from the TxDOT Corpus Christi district office.