US 96 - from RE 255 North to Loop 149
The TxDOT Beaumont District is proposing to improve US 96 from Recreational Road 255 to Loop 149 in Jasper and Sabine Counties, Texas. The project is intended to improve a critical hurricane evacuation route, improve safety by accommodating projected traffic and freight growth, and improve access to and from the ports in Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Orange.
The approximately 6.7-mile proposed project would:
- Convert the existing roadway to a four-lane rural divided highway
- Tie into a similar roadway configuration south of RE 255
- Improve a critical hurricane evacuation route and freight growth
- Improve access to and from the ports in Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Orange, Texas
The proposed improvements will require additional right of way and potentially displace residences and non-residential structures, although the exact amount would depend upon the selected alternative. The typical existing ROW width is approximately 120 feet, and the proposed project would require a width between approximately 220 feet and 300 feet.
- Consider public comments
- Conduct environmental review
- Finalize design and construction plans
- Start construction