US 69 Woodville-Colmesneil Relief Route
The TxDOT Beaumont District is proposing a US 69 relief route that stretches approximately 25 miles from approximately one mile south of RR 255 to approximately one mile south of Black Creek in Tyler County. US 69 is a south-north highway that runs from Port Arthur to Denison, Texas and is designated as a hurricane evacuation route.
Project purpose and need
The purpose of the US 69 project is to provide a relief route to support safe and efficient south/north movement of people and goods between Colmesneil and Warren. The proposed project aims to do the following:
- Provide an alternate south-north evacuation route for the growing population of Southeast Texas
- Improve safety by providing a relief route to reduce congestion on existing US 69
- Address demand from freight traffic
- Provide an alternate/secondary route from south of Warren to north of Colmesneil
The approximate 25-mile proposed project would include a new location roadway. The ultimate roadway south of US 190 would generally include two 12-foot travel lanes in each direction, a northbound 13-foot outside shoulder to be used as a hurricane evacuation lane, a southbound 10-foot outside shoulder, and two-lane frontage roads in each direction that would require approximately 400 feet of right-of-way (ROW) width. The ultimate roadway north of US 190 would generally include two 12-foot travel lanes in each direction, a northbound 13-foot outside shoulder to be used as a hurricane evacuation lane, and a southbound 10-foot outside shoulder that would require approximately 300 feet of ROW width. Bicycle and pedestrian accommodations would be considered throughout the project.
- Virtual public meeting with in-person options – Oct. 2023; more information will be shared later this month
- Draft preliminary design and Draft Environmental Assessment – fall 2024
- Public hearing – winter 2024
- Environmental Decision – spring 2025
- Begin ROW acquisition**
- Finalize design and begin phased construction upon approval**
*This project schedule and dates are tentative and subject to change.
** This project could be constructed in phases depending on funding.