Notice of Draft Environmental Assessment and Virtual Public Hearing with In-Person Option - US 79 from I-35 to east of FM 1460
The virtual public hearing and in-person option dates and times are posted below.
The virtual public hearing will be available beginning on Friday, Dec. 4, 2020, at 10 a.m. until Monday, Dec. 21, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. The virtual public hearing will be a pre-recorded presentation with both audio and visual components and will be posted as a video on this website at the time and date listed above. Please note that all project materials can be found below under the Downloads section on this page.
The in-person option is for individuals who would like to participate in-person instead of online and will be by appointment only on Dec. 4, 2020, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the TxDOT Georgetown Area Office & Maintenance Facility, 2727 S. Austin Ave., Georgetown, TX 78626. For more information on this option, please see the description paragraph below.
The purpose of the public hearing is to receive public comment on the Draft Environmental Assessment and the recommended Build Alternative for improving US 79 between I-35 and just east of FM 1460 (A.W. Grimes) in the city of Round Rock, Williamson County, Texas. This notice also advises the public that the draft EA is available for public review. Written or verbal comments must be received on or before 11:59 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 21, 2020, to be a part of the official public hearing record.
The virtual public hearing will include a pre-recorded presentation that explains the proposed improvements and provides additional information about the project. The presentation will include both audio and visual components. Additional materials, including a written transcript of the presentation, display boards, exhibits and supporting documents such as fact sheets, will also be available. Please note that the presentation will not be available on the website until the time and date listed above. Following the virtual public hearing, the presentation will remain available for viewing at the web address indicated above until Monday, Dec. 21, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. If you do not have internet access, you may call the TxDOT Austin District offices at (512) 865-7945 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, to ask questions and access project materials.
Additionally, TxDOT is providing an in-person option for individuals who would like to participate in-person instead of online. In-person attendees will be able to view the same presentation delivered in the online public hearing which will be playing on a screen, review hard copies of project materials, ask questions of TxDOT staff and/or consultants from a socially distanced approach, and leave written comments. The in‑person option will be held on Friday, Dec. 4, 2020, from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. at the TxDOT Georgetown Area Office & Maintenance Facility, located at 2727 S. Austin Ave., Georgetown, Texas 78626. Attendance at the in-person option will be by appointment only. Individuals wishing to attend the in-person option must call Patricia Kelly at (512) 659-3230 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, to make an appointment. In recognition of COVID-19, enhanced safety measures will be applied at the in-person option, including a requirement to wear a face mask, submit to a temperature check prior to entry, have an appointment, and follow social distancing practices. If anyone arrives without an appointment, they may be asked to wait outside to ensure we maintain appropriate occupancy within the hearing room.
For both the virtual public hearing and in-person option, the public may provide comments in the following ways:
- Leave a recorded voicemail at (512) 647-1064 with your verbal testimony starting on Friday, Dec. 4, 2020, at 10 a.m. The access is available 24‑hours a day through Monday, Dec. 21, 2020, at 11:59 p.m.
- Written comments can be submitted the following ways until Monday, Dec. 21, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.:
The purpose of the project is to improve safety and mobility and accommodate future population growth and land use development in the area. The proposed project includes the following improvements:
- Widening the existing US 79 highway to include a third travel lane in each direction
- Installing a raised median for safety
- Constructing an underpass at the intersection of US 79 and Mays Street, an overpass at the intersection of US 79 and FM 1460, and reconfiguring the US 79/I-35 intersection
- Modifying driveways and access points to improve safety and traffic flow
- Installing shared-use paths on both sides of US 79 to provide improved pedestrian and bicycle accommodations
TxDOT makes every reasonable effort to accommodate the needs of the public. The virtual public hearing and in-person option will be conducted in English. If you have a special communication accommodation or need for an interpreter, a request can be made to accommodate most needs. Requests should be made at least two business days prior to Dec. 4, 2020, by contacting Patricia Kelly at (512) 659-3230 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware that advanced notice is requested as some accommodations may require time for TxDOT to arrange.
Memorandum of Understanding:
The environmental review, consultation and other actions required by applicable federal environmental laws for this project are being, or have been, carried out by TxDOT pursuant to 23 U.S.C. 327 and a Memorandum of Understanding dated Dec. 19, 2019, and executed by FHWA and TxDOT.
Instructions for Viewing Presentation:
TxDOT has created basic instructions in an effort to help the public understand the basics of participating in a virtual public meeting/hearing. Before viewing the video presentation, click on the link below to read through the instructions.
- Instructions for Viewing a Pre-Recorded Presentation
- Instructions for Viewing a Pre-Recorded Presentation (Español)
For full screen, please visit our YouTube page.
- Display Ad
- DIsplay Ad (Español)
- Notice (Español)
- Fact Sheet
- Fact Sheet (Español)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Animated Model
- Animated Model Legend
- Draft Environmental Assessment
- Presentation Script
- Technical Reports
- Technical Report Amendment (2019)
- Community Impacts Assessment Technical Report (2018)
- Historical Resources Survey Report (2020)
- Water Resources Technical Report (2018)
- Wetland Delineation Report (2018)
- Geologic Assessment (2019)
- Tier I Site Assessment Form (2019)
- Biological Evaluation Form (2019)
- Tier I and Biological Evaluation Attachments (2019)
- Air Quality Technical Report (2019)
- Hazardous Materials Initial Site Assessment (2018)
- Traffic Noise Analysis Technical Report (2019)
- Indirect Impacts Technical Report (2018)
- Cumulative Impacts Technical Report (2020)
- Public Meeting Documentation (2017)
- Public Meeting Documentation (2018)
- Documentation of Public Hearing
- Right of Way Documents
TxDOT Austin District
P.O. Box 15426
Austin, TX 78761-5426
Posted: Nov. 4, 2020