US 259 serves as an important roadway for rural connectivity and as an evacuation route. TxDOT is proposing to widen US 259 to provide a 16-foot continuous two-way left turn lane and 10-foot shoulders. This project is dedicated to improving safety and mobility along US 259 between the Rusk county line and 0.38 south of SH 204 due to a high number of traffic crashes.
This project would also:
- Reduce congestion
- Enhance freight mobility along US 259
- Provide a more efficient hurricane evacuation route
- TxDOT has begun surveying and preliminary engineering studies.
- TxDOT will hold a virtual public meeting on Oct. 13, 2020, to gather public feedback.
- After gathering public feedback, TxDOT will begin right-of-way (ROW) mapping, preparing environmental documentation and developing detailed engineering plans, specifications and estimates.
- Once ROW mapping is complete and TxDOT obtains environmental approval, TxDOT will begin ROW acquisitions. ROW acquisition is estimated to be completed as of Spring 2023. Utility relocations will begin shortly thereafter.
- The detailed engineering plans, necessary permitting, and utility relocations are expected to be completed by Spring 2024.
- Construction funding was identified in TxDOT’s Unified Transportation Program (UTP) with an estimated construction start date set in March 2024.
Advance Planning Engineer
TxDOT Lufkin District
1805 N. Timberland Drive
Lufkin, TX 75901