US 59 from CR 227 to Spur 10
The TxDOT Houston District, in cooperation with the City of Houston, proposes to improve an approximately 10.5-mile-long, four-lane section of US 59 from County Road (CR) 227 (Tom Taylor Road) to Spur 10 (Patton Road/SH 36 Bypass).
- Four-lane divided highway
- At-grade (roadway level) intersections at CR 227, Ora Lee Road, Grunwald Road and Daily Road
- Grade-separated intersections (elevated intersections) at FM 2919/Lum Road, FM 360, Isleib Road and Spur 10
- Discontinuous two-way frontage roads
- Construct an additional lane in each direction
- Widen mainlanes to 12 feet with 12-foot-wide shoulders
- Convert two-way frontage roads to one-way operation
- Widen frontage road lanes to 12 feet with 6-foot-wide inside, and 6-foot to 10-foot-wide outside shoulders
- Eliminate crossover intersections at Darst Road, Grunwald Road and Daily Road
- Grade separations (elevated intersections) have already been constructed at Farm-to-Market (FM) 2919/Lum Road, FM 360, Isleib Road and Spur 10)
- Provide safe bicycle and pedestrian crossings through a 14-foot-wide outside curb lane along signalized intersections at FM 2919/Lum Road, FM 360 and Isleib Road
- Provide a continuous roadway between intersections, transitioning back to four-lanes east of the San Bernard River Bridge
This project is expected to improve safety, mobility and meet interstate standards. The project would require approximately 2.69 acres of additional right of way in two locations on the north side of US 59 between Isleib Road and Loop 540 (Spur 540). No displacements are required.
This study is a partnership between TxDOT and the Federal Highway Administration.
TxDOT Houston District
Director of Project Development
P.O. Box 1386
Houston, TX 77251-1386