SH 249 Harris County - BW 8 to I-45 North
TxDOT is initiating this study to identify improvements to SH 249 in Harris County, from BW 8 to I-45 North. The purpose of the study is to enhance mobility and operational efficiency; accommodate current and future traffic demands; and to improve safety at intersections.
Currently, SH 249 has three travel lanes in each direction with a turn lane in the median.
Proposed alternative improvements include the following:
- Addition of at-grade lanes, one in each direction
- Raised median
- At-grade intersection improvement
- Six-foot sidewalks
- 15-foot shared-use lanes for bicyclist
- Transit improvements
- Addition of at-grade lanes as well as grade separations at major intersections
The build alternatives would also include pedestrian and bicycle accommodations in will be in accordance with The Americans with Disabilities Act requirements. The proposed project would require additional right of way, resulting in potential displacements.
- Develop schematic based on public input
- Prepare environmental documents
- Begin design process
- June 12, 2018 - Public Meeting
- Nov. 2, 2017 - Public Meeting
- Schematic 1 - South of BW 8N to South of Old Bammel North Houston Road
- Schematic 2 - North of Bammel North Houston / North Houston Rosslyn Road to South of Antoine Drive
- Schematic 3 - North of Romona Blvd to East of Mt Houston Road
- Schematic 4 - West of TC Jester Blvd to South of Cora Street
- Schematic 5 - West of Ella Blvd to West of I-45 North
Please reference this project number: 0720-03-131
TxDOT Houston District