The scope of this study involves the intersection of Loop (LP) 197 and Interstate (IH) 45 in Galveston County.
- The existing intersection does not provide a direct connection between IH 45 and LP 197.
- Commuters traveling along IH 45 must take the State Highway (SH) 146 exit and travel a short distance along SH 146 before reaching a three-way stop.
- Atypical curves at this three-way intersection and the IH 45/LP 197 interchange are below design standards, which increases the potential for traffic delays.
- An at-grade railroad crossing currently crosses LP 197 north of the intersection of LP 197 and SH 146, causing congestion and delays when train crossings block the intersection.
- Construct a direct connector from IH 45 to LP 197
- The proposed direct connector would also provide an elevated crossing over the railroad tracks
This study is a partnership between TxDOT and the Federal Highway Administration.