FM 518 from SH 288 to SH 35
TxDOT is proposing the reconstruction and widening of FM 518 from SH 288 to SH 35 in Brazoria County, Texas. The project is needed because current and projected growth in the area has caused traffic demand to increase. The existing roadway is designed with two-way left-turn lanes, and lack of consistent raised medians throughout the project limits, which has resulted in high crash numbers at intersections and other conflict points.
The purpose of the proposed project is to accommodate future anticipated traffic demand and growth in the region, as well as to improve safety and mobility by constructing a divided roadway with raised medians.
The existing FM 518 roadway typically consists of four, 12-foot-wide travel lanes (two lanes in each direction) with center turn lanes. In addition, the roadway has a 13-foot wide median, 3-foot outside shoulders, and open ditches within a 100- to 120-foot right of way.
- SH 35 is a principal arterial linking the city of Alvin with communities such as Pearland and Houston to the north and Angleton to the south
- SH 288 is a major freeway/expressway that is designated as a hurricane evacuation route starting in Freeport and ending in Houston
- FM 518 serves as one of the main east-west thoroughfares connecting SH 288 and SH 35
- Current and anticipated future population and economic growth within the City of Pearland and Brazoria County, in conjunction with traffic demands, result in increased congestion on the roadway
While the stated project limits are from SH 288 to SH 35, the actual construction limits are from SH 288 to Halbert Drive/McLean Road. No improvements are proposed from Halbert Drive/McLean Road and SH 35. Within the construction limits, the existing roadway would be widened from a four-lane to a six travel lanes (three lanes in each direction). The inside travel lanes would be 12 feet in width and the outside travel lanes would be 15 feet in width to accommodate bicycles.
A raised median would be included and would vary between 14 and 18 feet. The proposed project would also covert the existing open ditch drainage system to a curb and gutter drainage system. In addition, outside pedestrian sidewalks are proposed.
The proposed improvements would require approximately 25 acres of additional right of way (ROW). Residential and commercial displacements are anticipated to occur as a result of the proposed project.
- Consider public comments
- Finalize environmental analysis
- Reach project decision from TxDOT
- Complete final design
- Construction timing determined once funding is approved
- Project Location Map
- FM 518 Schematic - from SH 288 to Tranquility Lake Boulevard
- FM 518 Schematic - from Tranquility Lake Boulevard to SH 35
- Finding of No Significant Impact
- Final Environmental Assessment
- Notice of Finding of No Significant Impact
Reference the following project number: 0976-02-086, 3416-01-012