FM 1488 from BU 290 to Joseph Road in Waller and Harris Counties, Texas
The TxDOT Houston District is proposing to widen FM 1488 from two to four lanes between BU 290 and Joseph Road in Waller and Harris Counties. The project purpose and need is to improve connectivity, increase mobility, and improve safety along FM 1488.
The existing roadway is a two lane, undivided roadway with 12-foot travel lanes and 5-foot shoulders. Open ditches are located on the north and south sides of the roadway. Flush medians are located within several of the communities located within the project area.
Current right of way (ROW) widths are typically 80-feet, with a maximum width of 120 feet.
The proposed improvements include:
- Widening the right of way to approximately 220 feet wide
- Converting the two-lane roadway between BUS 290 and US 290 to a four lane roadway 18 feet raised median with curb and gutter
- Widening the roadway from two lanes to four lanes, with 12 feet outside shoulder and four feet inside shoulders
- Constructing 40-foot depressed grassy medians with openings at major intersections
- Keeping the drainage as an open ditch
- Five curves located on FM 1488
- Reconstructing bridges over stream crossings to accommodate the proposed travel lanes
- Consider Public Meeting Comments and Refine Alternatives
- Continue Environmental Analysis
- Hold Second Public Meeting
- Finalize Environmental Analysis and Draft EA
- Public Hearing – Present the Preferred Alternative for Review
- Final EA Approval
- Environmental Clearance
- Complete Final Design and Begin Right-Of Way Acquisition
Reference the following project number: 0409-03-012
TxDOT Houston District