Prepare for your ride
- Wear a properly fitted helmet.
- Check brakes and tires.
- Wear light colors to make it easier for drivers to see you.
Tips so stay safe while riding
- Stay alert.
- Put away electronic devices.
- Pay attention to lane markers.
- Don't ride between vehicles.
- Cross at intersections.
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing.
- Never attempt to cross a multi-lane highway.
- Read more safety tips in the Texas Guide to Safe Bicycling.
- Visit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to learn more about bicycle safety.
Follow traffic laws
- You have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers.
- Stop at red lights and stop signs.
- Ride in a bicycle lane if present, traveling in the same direction as traffic.
- If a bicycle lane is not present, ride as close to the right side of the road as possible.
- Use a light on the front and a red reflector or light on the back of your bike at night.
- Learn more about Texas bicycle laws.
Use proper hand signals
- For a left turn, stretch your left arm to the left.
- For a right turn, stretch your right arm to the right.
- For a stop, hold your left elbow out, arm downward, with palm facing behind you.
Tips for drivers
- Stay alert.
- Be on the lookout for cyclists on the highway, especially at intersections.
- If you're passing a cyclist, move to another lane if possible and give them plenty of room.
- Watch for cyclists who may need to maneuver around potholes and debris.
Give us your feedback