Walker County Safety Rest Area
Texas safety rest areas feature many benefits for travelers in Texas.
Our 76 safety rest areas feature 24-hour restrooms. Most locations have attendants on duty 24 hours a day. Other locations have attendants on duty from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.
Walker County northbound
- IH 45 - Northbound, north of Huntsville.
- Latitude/longitude: 30.7828, -95.6595
- Mile marker: 124
Walker County southbound
- IH 45 - Southbound, north of Huntsville.
- Latitude/longitude: 30.8007, -95.6841
- Mile marker: 125
- Two sets of men's and women's restrooms.
- Picnic tables.
- Air-conditioned lobby and restrooms.
- Drinking water.
- Separate truck and passenger parking.
- Family/assisted restroom.
- Vending machines.
- Group picnic facility.
- Walking trail.
- Handicap access.
- Newly constructed safety rest area opened December 2007.
- The nearby City of Huntsville was named after Huntsville, Alabama, former home of a pair of brothers who established a trading post in the area in the mid-1830s.
- The Sam Houston National Forest covers most of the southern half of the county. Outdoor recreation opportunities available include wildlife viewing, fishing, trapping, hunting, camping, hiking, bicycling, and horseback riding.