Gray County Safety Rest Area
Texas safety rest areas feature many benefits for travelers in Texas.
Our 76 safety rest areas feature 24-hour restrooms. Most locations have attendants on duty 24 hours a day. Other locations have attendants on duty from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.
Gray County westbound
- IH 40 - Westbound, just west of Alanreed.
- Latitude/longitude: 35.1985, -100.7982
- Mile marker: 131
- Two sets of men's and women's restrooms.
- Picnic tables.
- Air-conditioned lobby and restrooms.
- Diaper changing stations.
- Separate truck and passenger parking.
- Drinking water.
- Storm shelter.
- Family/assisted restroom.
- Vending machines.
- Handicap access.
- Walking trail.
- Interpretive displays.
- Newly constructed facility opened in Spring 2003.
- Facility's "Cap Rock" design gets its inspiration from the natural rock outcropping common in the area. Interpretive exhibits inside the lobby provide local information, road, and weather conditions.
- Equipped with a wind turbine to supply renewable energy to the facility.
- Gray County, formed in 1876, was named for Peter W. Gray, a lawyer, and politician of the Republic of Texas and Civil War eras.