Cherokee County Safety Rest Area
Skip to main content
ATTENTION TXDOT CUSTOMERS: Some TxDOT applications and equipment have been impacted by the worldwide CrowdStrike outage. State agencies across Texas are working closely with the Department of Information resources to restore services as quickly as possible. If you are unable to access specific TxDOT information or tools, please check back with us in a few hours. We will update this message once applications and equipment are fully restored.

Cherokee County Safety Rest Area

Texas safety rest areas feature many benefits for travelers in Texas.

Our 76 safety rest areas feature 24-hour restrooms. Most locations have attendants on duty 24 hours a day. Other locations have attendants on duty from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.

Cherokee County

Cherokee County northbound

Location

  • US 69 - northbound, north of Jacksonville.
  • Latitude/longitude: 32.0294, -95.2797

Features

  • Air-conditioned lobby and restrooms.
  • Handicap access.
  • Drinking water.
  • Picnic tables.
  • Family/assisted restroom.
  • Vending machines.

Trivia

  • Reconstructed facility opened December 2004. The new design is a tribute to the numerous tomato sheds that once lined up nearby railroad tracks distributing local grown tomatoes all over the country.
  • The site is on a scenic ridge 240 feet above the surrounding terrain with 30 to 35-mile views of a wide, pine tree-covered valley below. The ridge is part of a long, flat-topped hill that extends for nine miles. A "Love's Lookout" historical marker is located on-site. The location is named after John Wesley Love, who in 1904 bought much of the surrounding area and planted a 600-acre peach orchard.
  • The county was named for the Cherokee Indians who lived in the area.
  • Nearby points of interest include Mission Tejas State Historical Park, Caddoan Mounds State Historic Site, Tyler State Park, Jim Hogg State Historic Park, and Fort Parker. The Texas State Railroad State Historical Park operates two antique trains on 25 scenic miles between depots in Rusk and Palestine.