Public Hearing - I-10 from FM 365 East to Walden Road
Ford Park - Exhibit Hall
5115 I-10 South
Beaumont, TX 77705 (Map)
Tuesday, May 1, 2018
5 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
The purpose of the public hearing is to gather public input on the proposed improvements to I-10 from FM 365 east to Walden Road (County Road 131) in Jefferson County, Texas. An open house will take place from 5-6 p.m. when displays will be available for viewing and the public may come and go at their convenience. The public hearing will begin at 6 p.m., which includes a formal presentation and comment period.
The proposed project will enhance safety and increase mobility by widening and reconstructing I-10. Currently, I-10 consists of four 12-foot wide travel lanes (two in each direction), 10-foot wide outside shoulders and 4-foot wide inside shoulders with a grass median and cable median barrier. The proposed project would:
- Reconstruct and widen I-10 to a six-lane highway (3 lanes in each direction) with 12-foot wide travel lanes,10-foot wide outside shoulders, 10-foot wide inside shoulders and a concrete median barrier
- Widen the I-10 overpass at Walden Road to current design standards
- Remove the Brooks Road overpass
- Rebuild I-10 as an overpass across Smith Road (currently Smith Road is an overpass across I-10)
- Install a U-turn for eastbound traffic
- Convert the partial two-way frontage road in front of the Goodyear plant to a one-way eastbound frontage road between Boyt and Smith Roads
- Replace the Boyt Road overpass over I-10 with a partial interchange that includes a westbound exit ramp and eastbound entrance ramp
- Reconstruct and widen the bridges over Willow Marsh Bayou and Kidd Gully
No construction is proposed at the FM 365 interchange. All work would occur within the existing right of way (ROW). No additional ROW or permanent/temporary easements are required; therefore, no displacements or relocations of residences and businesses are necessary.
The activities associated with the proposed project would impact waters of the U.S. located in the existing ROW; therefore, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nationwide Permit #14 under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act is required.
A portion of the proposed project ROW is located within the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) designated 100-year floodplain. The hydraulic design for this project would be prepared in accordance with current Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and TxDOT design policies and guidelines. The proposed project would not increase the base flood elevation to a level that would violate applicable floodplain regulations and ordinances.
Special accommodations: The public hearing will be conducted in English. Persons interested in attending the hearing who have special communication or accommodation needs, or require an interpreter, are encouraged to call Sarah Dupre, TxDOT’s Public Information Office, at 409-898-5745. Requests should be made at least five days before the event. Every reasonable effort will be made to accommodate special needs.
The environmental review, consultation and other actions required by applicable federal environmental laws for this project are being, or have been, carried out by TxDOT pursuant to 23 U.S.C. 327 and a Memorandum of Understanding dated Dec. 16, 2014, and executed by FHWA and TxDOT.
Comments must be received on or before Wednesday, May 16, 2018, to be a part of the official public hearing record.
TxDOT Beaumont District
8350 Eastex Freeway
Beaumont, TX 77708
Posted: April 11, 2018