Notice of Availability of Final Environmental Assessment - I-40 at SL 335
This notice advises the public that a final environmental assessment (EA) is available for public review for the proposed I-40 at State Loop (SL) 335 Interchange project on I-40 from Whitaker Road to State Spur (SS) 468 (Airport Road) in Potter County and on SL 335 from 34th Avenue in Randall County to SE 3rd Avenue in Potter County, Texas.
The proposed IH 40 at SL 335 Interchange project would consist of the following roadway improvements, including bicycle and pedestrian accommodations:
- The conversion of SL 335 from 34th Ave. to SE 3rd Ave. from a non-freeway section to a freeway section with frontage roads, ramps, grade separations over intersecting cross streets, and a four mainlane section with a provision for future expansion to an ultimate six mainlane section.
- The proposed SL 335 roadway would consist of four 12-foot mainlanes (two lanes in each direction) with 4-foot inside shoulders and 10-foot outside shoulders; 14-foot ingress and egress ramps with 2-foot inside shoulders and 6-foot outside shoulders; north and southbound two-lane frontage roads (curbed section with a 12-foot inside lane and 14-foot outside shared lane in each direction); and, 6-foot sidewalks along each frontage road, all within an approximately 350 to 362 foot proposed right-of-way (ROW).
- The proposed I-40 roadway would consist of six 12-foot mainlanes (three in each direction) with 11-foot inside and 10-foot outside shoulders, west and eastbound two-lane frontage roads (curbed section with a 12-foot inside lane and 14-foot outside shared lane in each direction); and, 6-foot sidewalks along each frontage road, all within an approximately 305 to 430-foot proposed ROW.
- Reconstruction of the existing interchange of I-40 with SL 335 consisting of a frontage road system at the first level, the I-40 mainlanes on the second level, SL 335 at the third level, and direct connection ramps on the fourth and fifth levels.
- An interim phase of construction has been developed that would initially construct the 3-level interchange at the intersection of I-40 and SL 335. No direct connectors would be built as part of the interim phase. The direct connectors would be constructed during the ultimate phase of the proposed project.
The proposed project would require the acquisition of approximately 44.8 acres of additional ROW impacting 62 parcels. Approximately 0.2 acre of temporary construction easements associated with driveways to provide access to adjacent properties would be required. The project length on I-40 will be approximately 2.0 miles and on SL 335 the project length will be approximately 1.8 miles.
Copies of the approved final EA, certification of public involvement, and supporting documentation are available for public inspection at the Amarillo District Office, 5715 Canyon Drive, Amarillo, TX; 79110, (806) 356-3200. Pursuant to 23 CFR 771.119(h), TxDOT will issue a finding of no significant impact (FONSI) for this project no sooner than 30 days after the issuance of this notice of availability. For further information, please contact John Wimberley, Environmental Coordinator for the Amarillo District at (806) 356-3200 or email@example.com.
The environmental review, consultation and other actions required by applicable federal environmental laws for this project are being, or have been, carried out by TxDOT pursuant to 23 U.S.C. 327 and a Memorandum of Understanding dated Dec. 16, 2014, and executed by FHWA and TxDOT.
TxDOT Amarillo District
5715 Canyon Drive
Amarillo, TX 79110
Posted: May 17, 2018