TxDOT provides comfort and security with health care and retirement plans, and we offer a variety of other benefits to support our employees
The Texas Employees Group Benefits Program (GBP) provides employees, retirees, and their families with valuable health coverage that helps them live healthy lives. Most state agency and higher education employees and their families become eligible for health coverage after 60 days of employment.
The state pays 100% of the monthly premium for eligible full-time employees and half of eligible family members’ premiums. The state’s payment for retiree health premiums is based on how long the retiree worked for the state and when they started state employment. Health plan participants also share costs with the state in other ways. Members are responsible for copays, coinsurance, and any deductibles that might apply in their plan.
In general, the state pays more than twice as much as participants for their overall health costs.
Most GBP health plans are network-based. That means you will pay more if you see providers outside the network. You can help keep costs down—for both yourself and the plan—by seeing in-network providers and by choosing doctor-approved generic prescription drugs, talking with doctors about high-cost imaging versus x-rays and examining invoices for incorrect charges. These efforts also will help you avoid unexpected health care bills.
Other benefits offered include: dental and vision coverage, life insurance, dependent life insurance, short and long term disability.
For more information on health benefits for you and your family, visit Active Employees.
Note: Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) benefits are subject to change without notice and depend on funding from the state.
Most employees of Texas agencies become members of the ERS retirement plan as soon as they start working.
Employees and the state contribute roughly equal percentages of their salaries to the ERS Retirement Trust Fund. Throughout your career, ERS invests the money in the Trust Fund to increase its value. ERS focuses on different types of investments in many industries for long-term earnings and stability. As a result, almost two-thirds of retirement annuities are paid with investment earnings. It is an excellent value for the state, members, and taxpayers, who help fund the state’s contribution.
The state retirement plan is a defined benefit plan. That means, when you choose to retire after reaching eligibility, you will get a monthly payment (or annuity) for the rest of your life – no matter how long you live. In general, defined benefit retirement plans provide the same or better benefits than 401(k)-type defined contribution plans, at about half the cost.
Your eligibility to retire and the amount of your annuity depends on your hire date, years of service, age, and salary. Once you retire, you will have a stable monthly annuity from ERS. Find out more about retirement benefits and retirement planning.
Live Well. Work Well.
Employee Wellness Program
As a TxDOT employee, you'll enjoy the benefits of participating in an award-winning statewide wellness program. Being well is about taking care of yourself in a holistic way. Work in a supportive culture that values your whole self, including your emotional, environmental, financial, intellectual, physical, and social wellbeing. Our wellness program provides resources and support in all these wellness dimensions.
Here are some of the wellness benefits available to TxDOT employees:
Statewide Wellness Programs & Wellness Leave
- Well Check Program - Employees are encouraged to schedule an appointment with their primary care physician for an annual routine physical exam and complete a health risk assessment to be eligible to receive up to eight hours of wellness leave.
- Get Fit Texas! Challenge - This program is hosted by the Department of State Health Services and is a state agency-to-agency physical activity competition. Employees are challenged to be physically active for at least six out of the ten-week challenge. TxDOT hosts its own internal competition among all divisions and districts. Employees can earn up to eight hours of wellness leave by participating!
- Exercise During the Day Program - Eligible employees may take up to 30 minutes - three days a week to engage in physical activity exercise during the work-day. Some positions may not be suitable for participation in this program.
- Preventative Care Check-ups - Each year, TxDOT partners with a third-party vendor to offer free and confidential, onsite preventative care screenings to check your BMI, cholesterol, glucose, blood pressure and more.
- Onsite Blood Drives and Flu Shot Clinics - Employees are eligible to use time during the day to donate blood and attend flu shot clinics.
HealthSelect Medical Plan - Wellness Benefits
Take advantage of the many health and wellness benefits available through the HealthSelect of Texas medical plan such as online weight management programs, tobacco cessation support, fitness center membership discounts, virtual medical and mental health doctor visits, wellness coaching and other resources.
Parent-Friendly Programs and Resources
- Nursing Parent Rooms (Lactation Rooms) - TxDOT encourages a work environment that is supportive of lactating employees. TxDOT provides a nursing parent room (permanent single-use or temporary mixed-use space) for employees to express their milk. At minimum, these rooms have a locking door, an accessible electrical outlet, chair, counter or table space and access to a safe water source, and a sink. Some rooms may have a refrigerator. Under the Affordable Care Act, breast pumps are a covered benefit for employees enrolled in the state's medical plan. All HQ Campuses and some District offices have received the Texas Mother-Friendly Worksite designation through the Department of State Health Services.
- Infants at Work Program - Employees (new mothers, fathers or legal guardians) of an infant age six weeks to six months (or until the infant is mobile or crawling) may be eligible to bring their infant to the worksite if the specific work environment is safe and appropriate.
Additional Employee Benefits
TxDOT offers programs designed to support you in all areas of your life - work and at home. Below are additional benefits available to TxDOT employees:
Employee Assistance Program
- The Employee Assistance Program is designed to help TxDOT employees manage their daily responsibilities, work stresses or any issue affecting their quality of life. Confidential, no cost services are available to all full-time TxDOT employees, employee's household members, and children that live outside of the employee's home up to 27 years old. Services include short term counseling, legal and financial resources, work/life resources, and referrals and personalized wellness resources and services.
Tuition Assistance Program
- We offer a tuition assistance program for eligible employees to pursue either a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited higher education institution. TxDOT will pay tuition and mandatory fees up to a maximum of $3,500 per semester.
Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- While employed full time, you may qualify for forgiveness of any remaining balance on your Federal Direct Loan Program loans. Under this program, an employee may qualify for forgiveness after the individual has made 120 qualifying payments. This forgiveness program applies to any public service organization, which includes government agencies such as TxDOT.
Other Employee Perks
- Flexible work strategies available to eligible employees when it is mutually beneficial to the employee and TxDOT.
- Teleworking: Employees may work remotely, including from their personal residence.
- Compressed Work Week: Employees may work a compressed work schedule - typically four 10-hour days in a row
- Flexible Work Schedule: Employees may be given approval to work a nonstandard work schedule as long as it does not adversely affect business operations and standard hours of operations are maintained.
- TxDOT offers an employee benefit to help you resolve legal matters and plan for various stages of life through "Texas Legal" which offers affordable legal representation. Members pay an affordable monthly premium and, when a legal issue arises, Texas Legal will pay the participating attorney directly with no deductibles or co-pays.
- Time off for federal and state agency holidays.
- Paid leave and tax deductions when you commute with others to and from work.
- Discounted services through the employee discount purchase program, Beneplace.
- Employee recognition for years of services and other statewide achievements.
Build Your Career At TXDOT
TxDOT is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, disability, military status or age.