Be Safe. Drive Smart. - Drive a Safe Speed
TxDOT’s statewide “Be Safe. Drive Smart” speeding awareness campaign urges drivers to slow down and drive to conditions to help save lives.
Why is TxDOT launching this new campaign?
Speed is the number one factor in roadway crashes in Texas, causing one out of every three traffic deaths. In 2021, more than 163,000 crashes in Texas involved speed, resulting in 6,493 serious injuries and 1,532 fatalities, up 8% from the previous year.
When you speed, you increase the risk of death and serious injury in a collision. You can also face an expensive fine, court costs, and your insurance rates can go up.
To remind motorists that driving too fast can be dangerous and expensive, TxDOT is partnering with law enforcement agencies across the Lone Star State as they step up their efforts to enforce speed limits during Operation Slowdown June 7–21, 2022. In addition to writing tickets, law enforcement vehicles will spend extra time driving the roads reminding motorists what a safe speed looks like.
What should drivers know?
Driving a safe speed often means more than following the posted speed limit. TxDOT has these safety tips for motorists:
- Match your speed to road conditions if there’s bad weather or you’re driving through a work zone.
- Slow down and allow for more distance to stop when traffic is heavy.
- Watch for signs alerting you of reduced speed limits ahead.
- Remember that fines double if you speed in a school zone or a work zone when workers are present.
- Always buckle up—drivers and passengers—day and night. It’s your best protection in a crash.