US 81/US 287 Intersection Improvements and Roadway Reconstruction Project
The Fort Worth District is proposing intersection improvements and roadway reconstruction to US 81/US 287 from north of CR 4228 to south of NRS Ranch Road in Wise County, Texas. The project is approximately 2.4 miles long.
The purpose of this project is to enhance safety while maintaining access to the commercial and residential developments on the west side of US 81/US 287.
- Reconstruction from a four-lane rural highway to a four-lane, controlled-access highway with a grade-separated crossing at NRS Ranch Road
- An interim project is proposed which will implement crossover improvements and add acceleration/deceleration lanes to improve safety ahead of the proposed project
The existing right of way width is 350 feet. The proposed project is anticipated to require approximately 1.35 acres of new right of way. Approximately 0.48 acres of temporary construction easements and zero acres of permanent drainage easements would be required. New denial of access would be required along the frontage roads from adjacent properties at new ramp junctions. Although additional right-of-way is required, no residential or non-residential structures would be displaced.
The anticipated construction cost is $39,500,000.
- Schematic complete – Summer 2023
- Environmental Approval – Spring 2023
The virtual public hearing with in-person option is being held May 26, 2022.
Dates are approximate.
Virtual Public Meeting – Held July 14, 2020
- Virtual Public Meeting Notice
- Advertisement (Español)
- Comment Card
- Fact Sheet
- Fact Sheet (Español)
- Project Location Map
- Project Location Map (Español)
- Virtual Public Meeting Video
- Presentation Slides
- Environmental Constraints Map
- Public Meeting Documentation
- Public Hearing Documentation - May 26, 2022