Notice Affording the Opportunity for Public Hearing - SH 71
TxDOT proposes to improve mobility along eastbound State Highway 71 by providing a continuous frontage road that would provide access to the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. The proposed project, referred to as the SH 71 Airport Entrance project, includes the construction of a 1.8-mile-long frontage road from Riverside Drive to Presidential Boulevard.
The proposed project improvements include:
- Construction of a 1.8-mile-long frontage road from Riverside Drive to Presidential Boulevard
- One-lane entrance ramps that would provide access to the frontage road from southbound US 183, northbound US 183 and eastbound SH 71
- Two-lane exit ramps that would provide access to Spirit of Texas Drive and Presidential Boulevard
- Relocation of the existing entrance ramp at the west SH 71/US 183 interchange to the SH 71 mainlanes, to the east of the interchange
- Proposed bicycle and pedestrian accommodations from east of the interchange SH 71/US 183 to Presidential Boulevard
Approximately 23 acres of new right of way held by three property owners is required for the proposed project. No parkland, community facilities or residential lands would be impacted. Although additional right-of-way is required, no residential or non-residential structures would be displaced. Information concerning services and benefits available to affected property owners and information about the tentative schedule for right-of-way acquisition may be obtained from the TxDOT Austin District Office.
The project location map, drawings, and other information about the proposed project are available for review and available for inspection Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at:
TxDOT Austin District
7901 N. I-35
Austin, TX 78753
The environmental review, consultation and other actions required by applicable Federal environmental laws for this project are being, or have been, carried out by TxDOT pursuant to 23 U.S.C. 327 and a Memorandum of Understanding dated Dec. 16, 2014, and executed by FHWA and TxDOT.
Any interested citizen may request a public hearing covering the social, economic and environmental effects of the proposed location and design for this project. Requests for a public hearing must be submitted in writing on or before Oct. 31, 2016, to the TxDOT Austin District Office.
TxDOT Austin District
P.O. Box 15426
Austin, TX 78761-5426
Posted Sept. 28, 2016.