US 69 (South Broadway Avenue) Schematic Development
TxDOT is developing plans for the expansion of US 69 (S. Broadway Avenue) from South Town Drive to south of FM 2813 in the city of Tyler. The project widens the existing four-lane highway to six lanes from Cumberland Drive south to FM 2813. Other improvements include additional auxiliary lanes at key intersections, the continuation of raised medians, and grade-separated interchanges at Cumberland Road and Market Square Boulevard.
A 2018 Feasibility Study completed by the city of Tyler, Tyler Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), and TxDOT identified this project. The study explored potential mobility and intersection improvements to ease congestion and improve safety. In 2020, this segment of US 69 ranked #89 on the Top 100 Congested Corridors in Texas.
- Widening the highway from four lanes to six lanes from Cumberland Road south to FM 2813
- Redesigning the roadway's alignments to meet current design standards
- Extending the raised medians from Heritage Drive south to FM 2813
- Constructing grade-separated interchanges at Cumberland Road and Market Square Boulevard
- Adding auxiliary lanes at key intersections
The project will require the acquisition of new right of way from adjacent property owners.
TxDOT will host two public meetings and a public hearing during its development of the preliminary design. Public feedback is a critical component of the design process. All interested citizens will have an opportunity to provide input, voice concerns, and ask questions at the first public meeting.
Meeting details will be posted to this web page as soon as they are available. Adjacent property owners will receive notification by mail.
Next steps include:
- First Public Meeting - Fall 2021
- Second Public Meeting - Spring 2022
- Public Hearing - Fall 2022
- Environmental Clearance - Winter 2022-23
- Right-of-Way Acquisitions - No Timeframe is Established
- Funding for construction is not yet identified
TxDOT Tyler District
Attention: Advanced Project Development Office
2709 West Front St.
Tyler, TX 75702