SH 146 from FM 519 to Loop 197
The TxDOT Houston District is the lead agency proposing to widen SH 146 from existing two-lane to four lanes to relieve a bottleneck and replace the SH 146 railroad bridge over the Texas City Terminal (TCT) and Union Pacific Railroads (UPRR) with a four-lane bridge. The project also proposes to reconfigure the existing intersection; SH 146 and SH 3 would intersect at an above-grade, signalized T-intersection, removing the SH 3 at-grade crossing of the railroad. An at-grade U-turn access road to SH 3 would be constructed to provide access to adjacent properties. This study is being undertaken by the Texas Department of Transportation with input from local governments.
The purpose of the project is to improve mobility during hurricane and other evacuation events and replace the bridge to meet current design standards, improve intersection configuration for large trucks and upgrade the aging bridge structure.
The existing SH 146 facility consists of a two-lane, undivided roadway from FM 519 to Loop 197. The existing railroad crossing consists of a narrow two-lane bridge with no shoulders. SH 146 crosses the railroad above-grade, while SH 3 crosses at-grade.
The proposed improvements include the following:
- Add one lane in each direction on SH 146 from FM 519 to Loop 197, to match the existing SH 146 facility north of FM 519
- Reconstruct and widen the SH 146 bridge over the railroad to accommodate four lanes on SH 146 and relieve the bottleneck
- Reconfigure the SH 146/SH 3 intersection to an elevated and signalized T-intersection to remove the SH 3 at-grade crossing of the railroad
- Construct an at-grade U-turn on SH 3 to provide access to adjacent properties
This project would require the acquisition of additional right of way (ROW). The acquisition may result in the displacement of residences and businesses directly adjacent to the project area.
- Notice Affording an Opportunity for a Public Hearing
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) decision
- Right-of-way acquisition when funding becomes available
- Construction will begin when funding becomes available
Reference the following project number: 0389-07-025
TxDOT Houston District