TxDOT Houston District is proposing to widen FM 1485 from two to four lanes between SH 242 and Kidd Cemetery Road in Montgomery County, Texas. The project purpose is to decrease congestion, increase mobility and improve safety on FM 1485. This project is sponsored by TxDOT and in partnership with the Federal Highway Administration.
Currently, FM 1485 is a two-lane undivided roadway with open roadside ditches between SH 242 and Kidd Cemetery Road. No sidewalks are located within the existing FM 1485 project area.
- Increased and projected growth in the area has caused traffic demand to exceed the capacity of the existing roadway
- The two-lane undivided roadway does not provide adequate mobility to accommodate the population growth or alleviate growing congestion
- The current roadway lacks sufficient and safe turning area for motorists
- Widen the existing FM 1485 from a two-lane roadway to a four-lane roadway
- Construct a 10-foot sidepath (shared use path by bicyclists and pedestrians that run adjacent to the roadway within right-of-way) on both sides of the roadway
- Separate the opposing lanes of traffic with a raised grassy median from SH 242 to just north of Caney Road, with strategically placed median openings to allow for accessing adjacent properties and taking U-turns
- Separate the opposing lanes of traffic with a continuous center turn lane from just north of Caney Road to Kidd Cemetery Road
The proposed project would include acquisition of additional right of way along the corridor and could result in displacements.
- Consider public meeting comments
- Conduct environmental assessment
- Offer of Public Hearing/Notice Affording Opportunity for Public Hearing
- Approval of environmental assessment
- Begin right of way acquisition
- Anticipated construction activities to begin in 2026 upon approval
Reference the following project number: 1062-03-052
TxDOT Houston District
Public Information Office
7600 Washington Avenue
Houston, TX 77007