US 190 Bridge Jasper County
In 2013, TxDOT approved the replacement of the Jasper County Neches River relief bridge approximately 11 miles west of Jasper on US 190 adjacent to Martin Dies, Jr. State Park. The bridge is located on the east bank of the B.A. Steinhagen Reservoir (also known as Dam “B”). The existing bridge was built in 1941 and the new bridge will enhance safety by modernizing the bridge to current standards.
The east relief bridge replacement includes the following improvements:
- Widen bridge and shoulder lanes: The current structure has two 12-foot travel lanes and two two-foot shoulders; the new wider structure will have two 12-foot travel lanes and two 12-foot shoulders. Wider shoulders will allow more room for disabled vehicles.
- Lengthen bridge and roadway approach: The existing 29.25-foot by 455-foot bridge will be replaced with a 50-foot by 560-foot bridge, which will include longer roadway approaches. The longer approaches are designed to balance the reservoir capacity and reduce impact to the reservoir's flood storage capacity as well as provide additional boat clearance.
- Construct the bridge with a similar appearance to the current structure: The new bridge design will be similar to the current design and the replacement is not expected to impact historic or cultural resources.
This project does not require additional right of way (ROW) or displacements. All work is within the existing 250-foot easement granted by the US Army Corp of Engineers.
The structure being replaced is not associated with the metal truss bridge or the associated approach that is located on the western side of the reservoir.
TxDOT is committed to working with the public to minimize the environmental impact from construction projects as much as possible. Construction began in 2015 and will be completed in the fall of 2017; timing is subject to change. Although some traffic delays are expected, traffic will continue to use the current bridge structure while building the new bridge structure in three phases:
Phase I: Completed
October 2015 - April 2016
- Remove portion of existing bridge
- Construct 30-foot-wide portion of the new bridge
- Traffic reduced to one lane
- Temporary traffic signal installed with a countdown timer
Phase II: In Process
January 2017 - July 2017
- Traffic moved to the new structure allowing two-way traffic with no shoulders
- Construct two 20-foot-wide bridge portions
Phase III: Begins Summer 2017
August 2017 - September 2017
- Remove traffic barriers and complete joining of Phase I and Phase II spans
- Apply final road surface
- Stripe lanes and shoulders, add reflectors
- Monday - Friday standard construction work hours (dawn - dusk)
- No anticipated weekend work
There will be no construction on the following holiday weekends:
- Easter weekend (April 14-17, 2017)
- Memorial Day (May 26-30, 2017)
TxDOT Beaumont District
8350 Eastex Freeway
Beaumont, TX 77708