FM 685 Improvements
Over the past 20 years, the FM 685 bridge across Brushy Creek in Hutto has flooded, causing significant travel delays and, more importantly, creating a serious safety hazard for motorists and potential delays for emergency responders.
FM 685 from US 79 to SH 130 will be improved, widening portions of the roadway and raising the bridge across Brushy Creek to lessen the possibility of flooding, and improve mobility within the city of Hutto. These planned improvements will improve both safety and traffic flow for Hutto residents and other travelers, as well as help to ensure timely response in the event of emergencies.
The $11 million contract includes:
- Widening sections of FM 685 from a four-lane undivided roadway to a four-lane divided roadway.
- Replacing the current bridge over Brushy Creek with two separate bridges, one northbound and one southbound.
- The northbound bridge will consist of two 12-foot travel lanes; the southbound bridge will consist of two 12-foot travel lanes and a left-turn lane to access Riverwalk Drive.
- Each bridge will also have a four-foot inside shoulder, 10-foot outside shoulder and six-foot sidewalk.
- Intersection improvements at US 79, Carl Stern Drive, Uvalde Drive, Knowles Drive, Riverwalk Drive and Great Western Drive.
Once completed, the project will provide enhanced safety and mobility for travelers. Construction is scheduled to begin in Oct. 2014, and completion is expected in Aug. 2016.
North Travis Area Office
TxDOT Austin District