SALADO – Please see update below on the bridge incident near Salado on I-35:
- Important to note, the FM 2484 bridge is still standing – it did NOT collapse.
- Earlier today, an oversized tractor trailer hit a beam of the FM 2484 bridge that was under construction on I-35. The impact of the truck caused two beams to become dislodged and fall onto the roadway.
- The vertical clearance of the FM 2484 bridge is 14 feet 1/2 inch; we posted 3 signs in advance of this bridge that gave a vertical clearance of 13 ft. 6 inches (one sign at 2 miles; one at 1 mile; and one at the exit). We informed the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles of this height so that they could properly permit trucks to either pass through here or take alternate routes.
- TxDOT has shut down I-35 in both directions near this area. NB and SB traffic is being detoured to SH 195 and US 190 through Killeen. Current traffic is backed up in each direction about 7 miles from the crash site. Current estimate for clearing the crash site is at least 8 p.m. but could be later. Please allow yourself extra travel time and drive carefully.
- Media should contact law enforcement for reports on injuries and crashes.
Road conditions and traffic updates available on Facebook, www.facebook.com/txdot and Twitter, www.twitter.com/txdot.
For more information, contact TxDOT Media Relations at MediaRelations@txdot.gov or (512) 463-8700.