Submitted problem statements undergo administrative review before TxDOT approves them for research:
- Problem statements are reviewed and prioritized with project recommendations for each functional area.
- Top recommended problem statements across all five functional areas are converted into project statements.
- Project statements are submitted to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the TxDOT Executive Review Board for final approval.
- The Request for Proposal (RFP) for selected project statements are announced.
The five Functional Area Committees consist of approximately 30 subject matter experts per committee from TxDOT districts, divisions, offices and universities. The five committees are as follows:
- Construction and Maintenance
- Planning and Environmental
- Safety and Operations
- Structures and Hydraulics
- Strategy and Innovation