The FAST Act established the ATCMTD program to make competitive grants for the development of model deployment sites for large scale installation and operation of advanced transportation technologies to improve safety, efficiency, system performance and infrastructure return on investment.
Grant recipients may use funds under this program to deploy advanced transportation and congestion management technologies, including:
- Advanced traveler information systems;
- Advanced transportation management technologies;
- Infrastructure maintenance, monitoring, and condition assessment;
- Advanced public transportation systems;
- Transportation system performance data collection, analysis, and dissemination systems;
- Advanced safety systems, including vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communications;
- Technologies associated with autonomous vehicles, and other collision avoidance technologies, including systems using cellular technology;
- Integration of intelligent transportation systems with the Smart Grid and other energy distribution and charging systems;
- Electronic pricing and payment systems; or
- Advanced mobility and access technologies, such as dynamic ridesharing and information systems to support human services for elderly and disabled individuals.