Limited access roadways — also known as partial controlled access highways — are highways or arterial roads that include:
- Limited or no access to adjacent property.
- Some degree of separation of opposing traffic flow.
- Use of grade-separated interchanges.
- Prohibition of some modes of transport, such as bicycles.
- Very few or no intersecting cross streets.
The degree of isolation from local traffic varies. All granted access is controlled and/or regulated.
Illustration: Limited Access
Photograph: Limited Access