Buy America Program
The training material below is intended to assist TxDOT staff, utility companies, vendors, manufacturers, and consultants understand the Buy America Program from beginning to end of a project life cycle to ensure compliance.
The Federal Highway Administration reviewed TxDOT Buy America Guidelines for Utility Accommodations (document name “Approved Buy America Guidelines” below) and found them to be acceptable for use on Federal-aid projects. The guidelines are relevant for all federally eligible transportation projects where FHWA is determined to be the lead federal agency. These procedures are intended to document the cooperative effort of the FHWA Texas Division and TxDOT.
Texas Transportation Code Title 6, Subtitle B, Chapter 223, Subchapter A, Section 223.045 – Iron and Steel Preference Provisions in Improved Contracts: Iron and Steel Preference Provisions in Improvement Contracts requires the use of domestic iron and steel on contracts awarded by TxDOT for the improvement of the state highway system without federal aid. These contracts must contain the same preference provisions for iron and steel products that are required under federal law for an improvement made with federal aid.
The target audience for training includes:
- Utility coordinators
- Utility engineers
- Project managers
- Utility companies
- Highway/Utility consultants
- Permit coordinators
- Construction engineers
- Right-of-way agents
- Area office staff/engineers
- Maintenance employees (issues permits)
- Local government representatives
- Vendor/Supplier companies
- Manufacturing companies
- Approved Buy America Guidelines - TxDOT Buy America Guidelines approved by FHWA.
- Buy America FAQs - Frequently asked questions regarding Buy America Program.
- Buy America Program Guide - TxDOT Guide to assist with Buy America requirements on projects.
- Utility Coordination Buy America Verification Form (ROW-U-BAV) - Buy America Verification Form used to document verified materials.
This series of videos is intended to assist utility companies, vendors, manufacturers, and consultants to understand the Buy America Program from beginning to end of a project's life cycle and to ensure compliance.
TxDOT employees are encouraged to view these videos for course credit through "ROW102 - Buy America Requirements for Utility Accommodations".
- Buy America Compliance – Foundation
- FHWA manufacturing process
- 2021 TxDOT-FHWA Buy America Guidelines
- Utility Accommodation Phase – Initial phase
- Utility Accommodation Phase – Standard utility agreement phase
- Utility Accommodation Phase – construction phase
- Utility Accommodation Phase – billing and invoices
- Consequences of Non-compliance