In this issue
- Commission Meeting Actions, Workshop Presentations
- 2011 Transportation Forum Registration Open!
- Statewide Podcasts
You can manage your subscription to TxDOT Update here.
125 East 11th St
Austin, TX 78701
Monday, October 4, 2010
Here's our round up of Texas Department of Transportation news and events. If you have any questions, comments, or just want to know more about something you read in here, send a message to AskTxDOT@txdot.gov.
Commission Meeting Actions, Workshop Presentations
The Texas Transportation Commission convened on September 30, 2010 for its monthly meeting and took the following actions:
- Approved a proposal that allows the department to lease unused right of way to entities that would construct and operate alternative ways of moving freight that produce less air pollution than traditional truck transportation. This proposal would also reduce congestion on highways and improve air quality.
- Received a report on the agency's progress of implementing recommendations from the Sunset Commission report. Those that do not require legislative action will be completed before the start of the upcoming legislative session.
- Authorized the department to execute pass-through toll agreements with the North Central Texas Council of Governments, the city of Temple, Denton County and the Hidalgo County Regional Mobility Authority for projects totaling $126.9 million in state investment.
During its monthly workshop session on September 29, 2010, the Commission heard the following:
- An update from the TxDOT Restructure Council (TRC) which included a preview of the new, online searchable database of recommendations from the department's 12-year audits, the Sunset Commission and the Grant Thornton management review. The TRC has spent the last month compiling and organizing more than 600 recommendations into this database.
- A progress report on Proposition 12-funded projects, with a focus on the I-35 corridor improvements.
Read more »
Back to top
2011 Transportation Forum Registration Open!
Registration is now open for the 2011 Texas Transportation Forum. The theme of the Forum is ‘Yeah, I Can Do Modern.’ It will be exciting, informative and will feature presentations on timely transportation topics from leading experts. Reserve your hotel room and register now for your seat at the table.
Register now »
Back to top
TxDOT produces a weekly Statewide Podcast to keep you updated on the latest transportation news and issues, and new podcast episodes are published every Friday on the TxDOT web site, www.txdot.gov. In this week’s episode, we talk with Greg Malatek, deputy district engineer in TxDOT’s Waco District, about the massive I-35 improvement project through much of Central Texas. Episodes are also available via iTunes.
Listen to Podcast »
Back to top