This project is dedicated to improving safety and mobility from south of Spradley Street on US 59 to the intersection of SH 7 West and State Loop 224.
Due to increasing traffic, congestion and a high number of traffic accidents, this project was one of three identified near term improvements needed in Nacogdoches County according to the US 59 Corridor Master Plan Study. "Near term” improvements would improve safety under present and projected traffic loads until the long-term solution, proposed I-69, is constructed.
In 2011, TxDOT received a Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) issuing clearance of the environmental document and final approval of the schematic. Due to budgetary constraints, the project will be constructed in two phases:
This phase is currently under construction and is anticipated to be complete Spring 2017, and includes the following:
- Converting the center two-way, left-turn lane on US 59 from south of Spradley Street to State Loop 224 to a raised median
- Constructing U-turns at Spradley Street and near State Loop 224
- Widening medians and lanes at Spradley Street and near State Loop 224 to accommodate future construction of US 59 main lanes
- Pedestrian safety will be accommodated by constructing sidewalks on both sides of US 59 from Spradley Street to State Loop 224.
- Reconfiguring the US 59/State Loop 224 intersection would provide safer turning movements and reduce congestion by allowing two lanes of through traffic to make a left turn at the signalized intersection
This phase focuses on eliminating traffic conflicts between through traffic and local traffic in this high density commercial area with the following improvements:
- Construct new US 59 northbound and southbound main lanes that would directly connect to State Loop 224 just south of SH 7
- Construct overpasses at Spradley Street, existing US 59 and Old Lufkin Road
- Construct frontage roads for State Loop 224 between SH 7 and BU 59
Phase II Next Steps
In 2013, the I-69 Angelina and Nacogdoches Counties Committee identified US 59/State Loop 224 South Interchange as a number one priority area for I-69 development in Nacogdoches County.
- With support from local officials and the public, TxDOT is revising the schematic to bring it up to interstate standards so that it may one day be designated as I-69. These revisions will require the schematic to be reapproved and a reevaluation of the environmental document.
- Once the schematic and reevaluation are approved, TxDOT will utilize the $6 million that was allocated for I-69 project development in Nacogdoches County to begin acquiring the right of way for Phase 2
- No construction has been identified. The construction date for Phase 2 will be set once funding becomes available
I-69 Project Manager
TxDOT Lufkin District
1805 N. Timberland Drive
Lufkin, TX 75901