Work is scheduled in the coming week on two different locations of US 59 that will require daily lane closures.
Guardrail work on US 59/SL 287 in Lufkin will continue. Work at the Atkinson Drive/SH 103 East overpass has been completed and traffic is flowing normally. Crews have begun working to replace guardrail near the frontage roads at Chestnut Drive/FM 58. Motorists should expect daytime lane closures should be expected.
Work is also scheduled to continue on US 59 from just north of FM 2021 to the Angelina River Bridge in Angelina County. The first layer of road surface will continue to be placed next week. This project is designed to resurface the existing pavement. Daily lane and shoulder closures should be expected.
“US 59 is a heavily traveled highway and we urge drivers to stay alert as they travel through these and all work zones,” said Rhonda Oaks, Lufkin District public information officer. “There will be delays in these areas and as traffic merges into one lane, and we recommend that drivers reduce their speed to the posted recommended speed limits. We want everyone to be safe.”
Work schedules are subject to change in inclement weather. For statewide construction or road closure information, visit drivetexas.org. Other project updates and plans for the coming week include:
- US 69 South: Mill and inlay work is scheduled inside the city limits of Huntington. Prepare for delays.
- BU 59/FM 58: Signal upgrades continue and new signals should be complete within the month. Possible delays.
- FM 842: Base repairs and level up surface.
- Various locations: Crews will work to apply herbicide, repair signs and rehabilitate ditches.
- FM 95: The approaches to the newly constructed Parallel Creek Bridge have been cement treated and surface treatments are scheduled to begin.
- FM 1275 (University Drive): Signal upgrades continue at FM 2609 and Martinsville Street.
- FM 343: Workers continue to prime the roadway, place flex base and place cement treatment on a project designed to reconstruct and widen pavement from the Cherokee County line to FM 225 on a project designed to reconstruct and widen the roadway.
- FM 1087: Work on cross structures continues on this project designed to enhance safety from US 259 to FM 95.
- FM 1878: Construction of abutments and columns continue at LaNana Creek as work progresses to replace the bridge and approaches.
- US 59: Crews are scheduled to place temporary striping ahead of the final surface layer on this project designed to repair base, level the roadway with hot mix and resurface with a porous friction course.
- FM 356: Traffic is switched to the widened detour and crews are working on curb and gutter on the west side of the roadway. This project is designed to reconstruct and widen pavement with a two-way continuous left turn lane. Daily lane closures expected.
SAN JACINTO COUNTY
- US 59: Crews are scheduled to repair signs, delineators and mailboxes in various locations.
- US 59: Crews are continuing the reconstruction of the northbound main lanes just south of the Union Pacific Railroad in Shepherd to just north of FM 2914.
- US 190/FM 980: Crews are preparing right of way at culvert ends and metal beam guard fence locations and upgrading driveway culverts with safety end treatments.
- FM 3460: Crews will work to level pavement, repair drop-offs and shoulders in various locations.
- FM 1725: Contract crews plan to trim limbs and remove dead trees in the right of way in various locations.
- FM 1127: Crews continue to remove culverts and place safety end treatments from US 59 to the end of the pavement.
- FM 2666: Work is scheduled to remove and replace culverts and place safety end treatments.
- Herbicide treatments are scheduled on FM 3342, SH 156, US 190 and FM 2693.
- City of Coldspring: Sidewalk and ramps are complete on Church Street and around the county courthouse. Rail is being fabricated and is scheduled to begin installation next week.
- SH 21 East: Work will continue to install driveway culverts on this project designed to safety treat fixed objects from just south of SL 304 to 2.5 miles south of FM 1733. Daily lane and shoulder closures expected.
- SH 21 East: Work to level up pavement in various locations will continue from FM 3187 to FM 227.
- SH 21 West: Crews are scheduled to continue to remove concrete and reconstruct eastbound main lanes on this construction project designed to reconstruct pavement and add passing lanes from 2.3 miles east of FM 2967 to SH 7. Daily detours and lane closures expected.
- SH 19: Work will continue to upgrade guardrail on the west side of the roadway.
- SH 19 South: Crews will make base repairs and seal from SL 304 to Spring Mar and clear ditches from Givens Hill to Four-Mile Park.
- SL 304: Crews will work to spot seal and repair road base from SH 7 East to SH 21 East.
- FM 227: Work will continue to reconstruct and widen the pavement from the City of Grapeland to the SH 21 intersection. Motorists should expect daily lane closures with a pilot car in use to lead traffic.
- FM 3151: Crews are scheduled to place flex base on the roadway and mix with cement on a project designed to reconstruct and widen the pavement from FM 1280 to FM 230. Motorists should expect lane closures and a pilot car in use to guide traffic through the work zone.
- US 287: Work to seal coat the roadway is scheduled from SH 94 to Harrison Avenue in Groveton. Crews are expected to work through Saturday. Daytime alternating lane closures expected.
- FM 415: Substructure work is complete and work is scheduled to pour a span of the new bridge deck at Bear Bayou.
- CR 4256: The new bridge is complete and bridge railing work continues at the Flat Fork Creek tributary. Excavation and embankment work is underway at Byfield Creek and the Attoyac Bayou tributary for bridge replacements.
- CR 4020: Bridge approach and guardrail work continues at Bear Bayou. Abutments and caps have been constructed and beams will be set in coming weeks for the bridge on the Toledo Bend Reservoir access road.
SAN AUGUSTINE COUNTY
- US 96: Construction of the southbound lanes is complete and surface applications are scheduled on this project designed to add passing lanes and reconstruct pavement from the Shelby County line to FM 3451.
- SH 21: Bridge approaches are under construction as part of the bridge replacements at Venado Creek and Perkins Creek. Forms for the bridge deck are being set at Perkins Creek.
- SH 21: Work is beginning to replace the Niciper Creek Bridge and approaches. Barricades are set and drill shaft foundations are being constructed.
- FM 705: Work will continue to safety treat fixed objects from SH 147 to 2.5 miles south of FM 83.