- New replacement facility opened Fall 2012
- The nearby town of Monahans hosts a number of annual events, including the Freedom Fair, the Greenthumb Show, the AQHA Quarterhorse Show, all held in July; a Pecan Perfection show in November, and a Christmas Parade each December
- The replacement building design is influenced by a nearby abandoned military base, Pyote Army Airfield or "Rattlesnake Bomber Base" which served a critical mission during World War II. Influenced design elements include tall hanger concrete buttresses, barrel vaulted roof shape, and steel rafters that resemble airplane wing ribs
- The county was named for Thomas W. Ward (1807-1872): architect, general contractor, war veteran, land commissioner, and city mayor
- Located in the "Big Bend Country" region of Texas. Visit our Texas Highways Magazine to find out interesting places and events happening in this region.