TxDOT is now accepting nominations for projects for the 2012 Transportation Enhancement Program.
The deadline for submission is Nov. 16, 2012.
TxDOT administers the federally funded program, which provides opportunities for non-traditional transportation related activities. Projects should go above and beyond standard transportation activities and be integrated into the surrounding environment in a sensitive and creative manner that contributes to the livelihood of the communities, promotes the quality of our environment, and enhances the aesthetics of our roadways. Projects undertaken with enhancement funds are eligible for reimbursement of up to 80 percent of allowable costs.
To be eligible for consideration, all projects must demonstrate a relationship to the surface transportation system and incorporate at least one of the following 12 categories:
- Category 1: Provision of Facilities for Pedestrians and Bicycles
- Category 2: Provision of Safety and Education Activities for Pedestrians and Bicycles
- Category 3: Acquisition of Scenic Easements and Scenic or Historic Properties
- Category 4: Scenic or Historic Highway Programs (including the provision of tourist and welcome center facilities)
- Category 5: Landscaping or Other Beautification
- Category 6: Historic Preservation
- Category 7: Rehabilitation and Operation of Historic Transportation Buildings, Structures, or Facilities, including Historic Railroad Facilities and Canals
- Category 8: Preservation of Abandoned Railway Corridors, including Conversion and Use for Pedestrians and Bicycle Trails
- Category 9: Control and Removal of Outdoor Advertising
- Category 10: Archaeological Planning and Research
- Category 11: Environmental mitigation to address water pollution due to highway runoff and to reduce vehicle-caused wildlife mortality while maintaining habitat connectivity
- Category 12: Establishment of Transportation Museums