Public entities are defined as State Agencies (NOTE--the Civil Air Patrol, Texas Wing, is considered a state agency of Texas) and Political Subdivisions. These include, but are not limited to, the following entities within the state of Texas:
- Volunteer Fire Departments
- Rural Fire Prevention Districts
- School Districts
- Junior College Districts
- Mental Health and Mental Rehabilitation (MHMR) Community Centers
- Water Districts
- Municipal Utility Districts
Assistance Organizations - These are organizations meeting one of the following criteria:
- Nonprofit organization that provides educational, health, or human services or assistance to homeless individuals.
- Nonprofit food bank that solicits, warehouses, and redistributes edible but unmarketable food to an agency that feeds needy families and individuals.
- Texas Partners of the Americas, a registered agency with the Advisory Committee on Voluntary Foreign Aid, with the approval of the Partners of Alliance Office of the Agency for International Development.
- Group, including faith-based group, that enters into a financial or non-financial agreement with a health or human services agency to provide services to that agency's clients.
- Local workforce development board created under Section 2308.253 of the Texas Government Code.
- Nonprofit organization approved by the Supreme Court of Texas that provides free legal services for low-income households in civil matters.
- Texas Boll Weevil Eradication Foundation, Inc., or an entity designated by the Commissioner of agriculture as the foundation's successor entity under Section 74.1011, Agriculture Code.
- Nonprofit computer bank that solicits, stores, refurbishes and redistributes used computer equipment to public school students and their families.
- Nonprofit organization that provides affordable housing.
The Texas Facilities Commission determines the eligibility of assistance organizations. In order to qualify as an assistance organization under one of the above criterion, an organization must complete a State of Texas Application Form for Assistance Organizations and submit the form along with supporting documentation for review and determination of eligibility status. An organization that has been determined to meet the eligibility criteria will be pre-qualified and allowed to purchase items during the Public Entity 10-day advertisement period.